Mexican RisottoPosted: September 23, 2008
What a great way to use risotto. I would have never thought to use risotto in a Mexican meal, but it was great. The creamy rice, with the cheese was perfect. We will definitely make this again!!! I found this recipe on Mary Ellen’s Cooking Creations!
- 1 c arborio rice
- 5 c low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 c dry white wine
- 1/2 each red and green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- Optional: corn, finely chopped zucchini, different peppers
- 1/2 c shredded cheese; I used a Mexican blend
- Spices – about 1/2 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp cumin
- A few shakes of red pepper flakes
- Sour cream for serving
- Pour chicken stock into a pot and add spices; heat gently
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large saute pan over medium heat
- Add onions and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes
- Add arborio rice and stir until coated, about 1 minute
- Add white wine and stir until absorbed
- Add broth, 1 ladle at a time, letting it absorb while stirring constantly.
- Add peppers after the first ladle.
- After about 17-25 minutes all of the broth should have been used and the rice should be cooked through. Taste it to make sure it isn’t crunchy – my risotto takes 17 minutes sometimes, but 25 minutes on other days.
- Stir in cheese and serve. I topped mine with some sour cream.