Italian Sprinkle Cookies and Dec Tasty Tools: Cookie SheetsPosted: December 14, 2008 | |
What a great, easy cookie ball with an excellent light flavor! I wanted a new type of cookie to make this year with all my other baking and found these in my Taste of Home Cookie book! Very easy to make and huge on flavor!
I am also submitting this to Joelen’s Culinary Adventures Tasty Tools Blog Event for December!! Check out her blog at the end of the month for all the great recipes!
- 6 large eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder (plus 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 cup shortening, melted
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- Using a heavy-duty electric mixer on high speed, beat eggs until light and foamy, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar and baking powder; gradually add shortening and extracts until a bead-like texture is formed.
- Gradually add beaten eggs (dough will be stiff).
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12 minutes.
- The tops of the cookies will not brown, but the bottoms should brown slightly.
- For glaze, combine milk and extracts in a large bowl.
- Add sugar; whisk until all lumps are dissolved and the glaze is smooth.
- As soon as cookies are removed from the oven, quickly immerse two or three at a time into the glaze. Remove with a slotted spoon or fingers.
- Place cookies on wire racks to drain.
- Quickly top with sprinkles.
- Let dry 24 hours before storing in airtight containers.