Pita BreadPosted: January 12, 2009
I forgot to grab pita bread at the store today to have with our homemade hummus, but remembered the girls on the WC board rave about how easy it is to make homemade pita bread. So rather than run back out to the store, I decided to make it. And it really was easy!
Recipe from Recipezaar.com
Makes 8 rounds
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons quick-rising yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups hot water (but not boiling)
- 1-1 1/2 cup flour
- Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl.
- Beat well about 1 minute.
- Then mix in the remaining flour, using just enough to make a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn out on floured board and continue to knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide into 8 balls.
- Roll out each one to about 1/4 inch thick and 6 inches in diameter.
- Place on very lightly greased cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal (although cornmeal is really not necessary if you don’t have it).
- Let rise in warm place for 25-35 minutes .
- Bake at 450 for 4 min, and then turn over for 4 more minutes or until lightly browned.
- Wrap immediately in a dishtowel for 3 or 4 minutes.